Shapefiles, KMLs, & Spreadsheets
The MSB provides nearly 40 mapping datasets for download. These represent features such as site addresses, roads, parcels, etc.
Data Format Types
Datasets are available for download from our new Open Data site in shapefile, KML, and spreadsheet formats.
Shapefiles can be used in ArcMap, AutoCAD, and other mapping software programs.
KMLs can be viewed in Google Earth.
Spreadsheets can be used in Excel, Calc, etc.
The datasets are organized by the following themes:
|Assembly Districts, City Boundaries, Communities, Fire Service Areas, MSB Boundary, Native Corporations, Recording Districts, Road Service Areas, Special Service Areas, Special Use Districts, Voting Precincts|
|Cadastral||Parcels, Subdivisions, Tax Map Base, Tax Map Grid|
|Infrastructure||Buildings, Mileposts, Public Facilities, Railroad, Roads, Separated Paths|
|Public Safety||Addresses, Emergency Community Name, Emergency Service Number|
|Recreational||Local Parks, Waterbody Access|
|Reference Grids||Reference Grids, Latitude & Longitude, Sections, Township & Range, USGS Quad|
Data Download Directions
- Go to the Open Data Site http://data1.msb.opendata.arcgis.com/
- At the bottom of the page click one of the thematic circles: Administrative, Cadastral, Environmental, Infrastructure, Public Safety, Recreational, or Reference Grids.
- On the left side, under Content Type, click Spatial Data.
- Click on the dataset of interest.
- Learn more about the data by clicking the Overview and Data tabs.
- To download data, click the Download Data button and select the desired format.
- Once the download is complete, save the file to the desired location.
Click here for more Detailed Directions.
Each shapefile has an associated "metadata" record that describes how the data was collected, how often it is updated, known limitations, etc. This information is stored in the MSB GIS Data Dictionary.
The coordinate system for all these datasets is NAD 83 Alaska State Plane Zone 4 Feet.