Matanuska-Susitna Borough


Zoning, Land Use and Building Regulations DO Exist in the Matanuska-Susitna Borough.

Be advised that permits may be required. Developers and land owners are responsible for knowing the rules. Please visit our Permit Center for questions regarding any of the following activities. If you plan to start, or are now conducting any of the following land use activities, those activities must comply with Borough regulations:

  • Commercial and Industrial Use in the Core Area
  • Marijuana Related Businesses
  • Multifamily Development
  • Earth material Extraction
  • Tall Structures
  • Fireworks
  • Ice Houses
  • Driveway Installation or Modification
  • Waste Incinerators
  • Racetracks in the Core Area
  • Special Events
  • Subdividing
  • Land Mobile Home Parks
  • Adult-Oriented Businesses
  • Public Display of Fireworks
  • Establishments that Sell Liquor
  • Developing Land in Flood Hazard Areas
  • Community Correctional Residential Centers
  • Use of Lakes, Creeks and other Waterbodies
  • Auto Salvage Yards
  • Junkyards and Refuse Areas
  • Development within any Special Land Use District Development in the Cities of Houston, Palmer, and Wasilla
  • Development within Designated Residential Land Use Districts
  • Building Structures Near Lot Lines, Public Easements, Right-of-Ways or Near a Shoreline



Borough staff is available to assist you in determining which regulations apply to your activity and help you comply with those laws.

In order to save time and money, and prevent problems with your neighbors or the Borough, please contact:

Permit Center
350 East Dahlia Avenue 
Palmer, Alaska 99645-9488 
Phone 907-861-7822 
Fax 907-861-8407 
Email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.


Water and Waste Water

Water and Waste Water connection to available public systems (such as Talkeetna) may be required. For more information, contact our Public Works Department at (907) 861-7753.

Use or occupancy of Borough-owned land, including but not limited to:

  • clearing right-of-ways
  • cutting trees
  • mining or prospecting
  • crossing with motorized vehicles
  • camping
  • shooting
  • storing materials
  • equipment

For more information, contact our Land and Resource Management at (907) 861-7869.