Matanuska-Susitna Borough

Business License

Thank you for your interest in conducting business in the Matanuska-Susitna Borough. 

Any individual, company, or partnership which engages in business activity in the Matanuska-Susitna Borough must have a business license for that activity. Business activity includes non-profit as well as for-profit operations.

The cost for the biennial license is $100 (make checks payable to the Matanuska-Susitna Borough).

Business licenses are issued biennially for a two year period or for any part thereof. The biennial period will begin with January 1 of the year the license is being applied for and end December 31 of the following year. Newly established businesses applying for a borough business license after December 1st will be issued a business license for the following biennial period. The license expires on the last day of the biennial period.

Apply for a Business License

There are two ways to apply for MSB Business Licenses, online, or in person. To apply online, go to our eCommerce site, log in, and apply for a new Busienss licences or renew an old one.

You may also come into the main Borough Office in Palmer and apply in person.

Other Rules

Are there other rules or permits required for my business?

Businesses may be subject to additional Borough rules. Other Borough Permits may also be required. Contact the Borough Code Compliance Division to determine applicable rules or permits (907) 861-7822.

The following links to the other web sites provide additional information for certain lines of business.

Bed Tax Registration

The Matanuska-Susitna Borough collects a bed tax. If you provide traveler accommodations, you are required to collect the tax and file a return every quarter. A registration form should be filled out and returned to us, please call 861-8632 and we will mail or fax a form to you. Go to this site to find the Borough Code Chapter 3.32 for the Transient Accommodations Tax.

Excise Tax (Tobacco)

If you are selling ANY tobacco products you should contact the Excise Tax Specialist @ (907)861-8503.

Matanuska-Susitna Borough Code Chapter 3.30

Other Required Licenses

All businesses in Alaska must have a state business license. The current fee for a State Business license is $50 per year or $100 for two years. If your business activity includes tobacco sales, a tobacco endorsement is also required.

Additionally,  if you are conducting business in the city limits of Palmer, Wasilla, or Houston you are required to have a city license also. Please see the following contact information for these applications.

Licensing Contacts

Mat-Su Borough Business Licenses

350 E. Dahlia Avenue
Palmer, Alaska 99645
(907) 861-8442
E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

State Business Licenses

Alaska Dept. of Commerce

Community and Economic Development Division of Corporations, Businesses and Professional Licensing P.O. Box 110806 Juneau, Alaska 99811-0806 (907) 465-2550

City of Palmer Business Licenses

City of Palmer

To apply for a City Business License, you will need to have your State and Federal Employer’s Identification Number or your Social Security number. The fee for a City Business License is $25 for the calendar year or any part of a calendar year. Contact:

City of Palmer Department of Administration Attention: Finance Division 231 W. Evergreen Avenue Palmer, Alaska 99645 (907) 745-3271

City of Wasilla

City of Wasilla

A business license is required for any business conducting transactions within Wasilla city limits. The cost for a business license is $25 per calendar year. Contact:

City of Wasilla Finance Department 290 E Herning Avenue Wasilla, Alaska 99654 (907) 373-9088

City of Houston

City of Houston

For the privilege of engaging in business in the City, a person shall first apply to do so, and pay the license fee provided in HMC 5.04.040. The license fee for each business shall be $25.00 for the calendar year. Contact:

City of Houston PO Box 940027 Houston, Alaska 99694-0027 (907) 892-6869


Yes, you can contact The Administration Department at (907) 861-8530, or visit the business incentives page.