Talkeetna Sewer & Water
The Talkeetna Sewer & Water System was built in the late 1980s after significant flooding of the Talkeetna and Susitna Rivers damaged personal wells and septic systems in Talkeetna proper. The system includes water treatment, water distribution, wastewater collection, and wastewater treatment.
Water is supplied by two groundwater wells that is treated to remove arsenic, manganese, and iron. The water is disinfected utilizing chlorine prior to entering the distribution system. The water distribution system is approximately 5 miles, or 26,000 linear feet, of ductile iron pipe and supplies safe, reliable drinking water to approximately 215 commercial and residential taps.
The wastewater gravity collection system is approximately 23,000 linear feet in length and utilizes three lift stations to transport sewage to the waste water treatment plant. Treatment processes include anaerobic digestion, waste stabilization, disinfection, aeration, and de-chlorination to remove solids and pathogens prior to discharge into the Talkeetna River. Wastewater treatment is only performed during the months of April through October. From November through March, winter conditions prevent treatment so wastewater is stored until treatment can resume.
The Talkeetna Sewer & Water System is maintained by Mat-Su Borough operators Mike Drover and Amanda Fleming.
Talkeetna Sewer & Water provides the following services to the Talkeetna area:
- Treatment & distribution of drinking water for domestic, commercial, and fire protection use.
- Collection & treatment of domestic and commercial wastewater.
- Operation & maintenance of these facilities.
Note 1: Connecting to the Talkeetna Sewer & Water system is required for all buildings constructed after March 17, 1992 and for all existing systems that fail in the service area. All connections require a meter.
Note 2: To accommodate seasonal needs, the utility will turn water service on and off at the request of the customer. There is a Turn On/Off fee and a monthly Interrupted Service fee. See the Fee Chart for current rates.
Apply for Service
To obtain service at a property already connected to the system, submit a completed Application for Utility Service for review. DO NOT submit application fees until after you have received confirmation from the Public Works Department that the form is complete. Properties not connected to the system will be required to submit additional permits; minimally a Stub Out Connection Permit or a Mainline Connection Permit.
Please contact the Public Works Department before submitting additional forms and fees as each property will have to be reviewed for specific availability.
Pay My Bill
Bills will be mailed on a monthly basis, typically at the start of every month, to the address listed on the Utility Service Application on file. Failure to receive a bill will not relieve the customer of the responsibility to pay for services received.
Please include your full account number (TA0XXX-XXXXXXXX) for all payment methods. The account number is located in the upper right corner of your bill.
- Pay Online: MSB Point and Pay *There is a convenience fee per transaction of $3 per $100.*
- By Phone: 1-866-989-9516
- By Mail: Matanuska-Susitna Borough Finance, 350 E Dahlia Avenue, Palmer, AK 99645.
- In Person: 350 E Dahlia Avenue, Palmer, AK 99645.
- Bank Transfer: Only available at the Matanuska Valley Federal Credit Union - Talkeetna branch.
Customers will be billed by the Utility at intervals approximating 30 days. Normally, each meter will be read on or about the same date each month and bills will be prepared, utilizing a cycle billing, based on the meter reading. Billings for service of less than thirty days shall be pro-rated on the basis of a thirty day month from the day of connection (turn on).
- Residential Water $78.00 per month
- Commercial Water $87.50 per month up to 8,000 gallons, plus $11.00 per every additional 1000 gallons
- Interrupted Service $41.25 per month Residential Sewer $60.00 per month
- Commercial Sewer $114.00 per month
- Utility Service Application $385.00 each
- Stub Out Connection Permit $94.00 each
- Mainline Connection Permit $282.00 each
- Water Turn On/Off* $72.00 each
- Service Call Out* $72.00 each
- Unauthorized On/Off $99.49 each
- Returned Check $41.45 each
- Late Payment $12.50 each
- Disconnect Notice $31.50 each
Additional services and fees are listed in the Talkeetna Sewer & Water Service Rules and Regulations. *Service requests outside of normal business hours will be subject to double the listed rate.
Sewer & Water Board
The Talkeetna Sewer & Water Advisory board consists of five voting members that reside in the sewer and water service area. The board is the key communication link between the community and the Mat-Su Borough.
Meetings occur quarterly on the first Wednesday of January, April, July, and October. For information on meeting location and time, please visit www.matsugov.us/publicmeetings or www.talkeetnacouncil.org.
Mail: 1420 S Industrial Way Palmer, AK 99645
Talkeetna Office: (907) 861-8347
Palmer Office: (907) 861-7753
For emergencies, contact the Talkeetna Office for the on-call operator.